Abby’s Secrets to Speed Reading Summed Up
I frequently get asked “What’s the ‘secret’ to speed reading?” There are MANY secrets to speed reading, many of which I have already shared in these tip emails! Here’s a quick summary with a few additions:
- Know you can read faster than you do now but don’t expect to read War and Peace in 5 minutes!
- You have the ability to see more words at a glance – remember key words and phrases.
- Using your hands or a white card can push your eyes down a page for increased focus and ultimate comprehension.
- Learn to trust your brain so you don’t tend to re-read as much.
- Read faster so you concentrate more, enabling you to daydream less.
- Make sure you only spend your valuable reading time on material that is important to YOU.
- Set yourself up for success by securing a quiet, distraction-free place with a solid period of time to get your important reading done.
- Feel confident you can get your reading done in a timely manner with good concentration, comprehension and ultimately retention
There are more nit-picking ideas (like not moving your lips or getting your eyes checked on a regular basis) but the bullets above are most important. If you find these tips helpful, do let me know! I love hearing how you use this information.